Calphalon brand is known for its durable cookware, bakeware, and appliances. Since the 1960s, home chefs have looked to Calphalon for reliability in their kitchen. But are the brand’s knife sets any good?
Choosing a high-quality and reliable tool for your kitchen can be discouraging when buying knives. Read on to find helpful Calphalon knife set reviews that will help you decide what set, if any, is suitable for you.
Calphalon offers different knife set collections; from the lowest price to the highest, they are Select, Classic, Contemporary, and Precision. I have reviewed the pros and cons of the brand’s knives to determine the best Calphalon knife set on the market.
Calphalon Classic knives are the most popular and extensive sets available to consumers. For this reason, I have reviewed three of the knife sets from the Classic collection, while the fourth is from the Contemporary collection.
Calphalon Kitchen Knife Set with Self-Sharpening Block, 15-Piece
Calphalon’s 15-piece knife set is made of forged, high-carbon stainless steel. Unlike the other knife sets in this review, the knife is made entirely of stainless steel, including handles.
This set includes an 8-inch chef’s knife for general use and an 8-inch serrated bread knife for slicing bread. The 6-inch utility knife in this set can be used for fruit, and there is also a 7-inch Santoku knife for those that prefer that to the chef’s knife.
A 3.5-inch paring knife works well for cleaning up vegetables. This set includes eight steak knives and a pair of kitchen shears. The entire set sits in a self-sharpening knife block with additional room for another knife.
- Calphalon uses SharpIN technology with ceramic sharpeners in the knife block to automatically keep knives sharp every time they are used. With labeled handles, so there is no confusion about which knife you are reaching for, this knife set is very user-friendly.
- The entire knife set is made of high-carbon stainless steel (except for the steak knives), including the handle. These knives are durable and aesthetically pleasing.
- The knives in this set feature a full-length tang, making them slightly heavier since they are made entirely of steel. The knives are also more balanced than a partial tang knife.
- All knives feature a full bolster, creating a barrier between the knife’s blade and your hand for safe use. The bolster also makes the knives more durable and contributes to better balance and control when cutting.
- Automatic sharpening in the knife block ensures that your knives will stay sharp and efficient at cutting.
- The steak knives are made of something called Asian steel, and not stainless steel, making them potentially less durable.
- Some buyers complained of rust and chipping on their purchased knife sets.
- If not appropriately used, the ceramic sharpening compartments in the knife block may not work to keep the knives sharp.
back to menu ↑
Calphalon 15- Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Self-Sharpening Block
This 15-piece knife set from Calphalon features a triple-riveted and cast handle and a full-tang design.
This Calphalon knife set includes a standard 8-inch chef’s knife and a 6-inch serrated knife that is slightly thicker than a typical bread knife. A 6-inch utility knife serves for multi-purpose tasks in the kitchen. The 7-inch Santoku knife allows the user to efficiently slice and dice vegetables.
The 4.5-inch paring knife is slightly larger than the first set’s paring knife. Included in this set are eight steak knives, as well as kitchen shears. All of the components sit in a self-sharpening knife block with room for an additional blade.
- The handles of these knives feature SilverShield technology, using a small number of silver ions to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. Despite this, the handles should still be adequately cleaned and sanitized for safety.
- The knife block features built-in SharpIN self-sharpening technology, keeping knives sharp every time they are used.
- The entire 15-piece knife set has triple-riveted and cast handles, giving the knife strength and durability. These knives feature a full-tang design, lending to better balance when cutting.
- Calphalon Classic knife blades are forged and not stamped, making them resistant to bending and chipping.
- Knives in this set are visibly labeled, making it easy to reach for the correct knife when cooking.
- The SilverShield technology featured on the handles of the knives may not be necessary or effective at preventing the spread of bacteria.
- This knife set does not feature a serrated bread knife but instead two utility knives, one of which is serrated. The thickness of the serrated knife may not be as suitable for slicing bread as a standard bread knife.
- If not used correctly, the built-in sharpening technology may not work to keep knives in the set sharp.
- Customers complained of a sloppy finish on the wooden knife block and on some of the blades of the knives.
back to menu ↑
Calphalon 321, 12 Piece, Silver Knife Block Set
Calphalon 321 12-piece silver knife set features high carbon no-stain steel blades and riveted handles. The knives in this set are all constructed with a full-tang design and forged from a single piece of steel.
The Calphalon 321 knife set includes an 8-inch chef’s knife and a 5-inch Santoku knife, both of which can be used for similar tasks depending on the user’s preference. A 6-inch serrated utility knife is good for cutting through small loaves of bread.
The 4.5-inch paring knife is slightly larger than other paring knives and can be used for small dicing. This set includes only six steak knives, instead of eight like the first two sets, and kitchen shears. All of the knives sit in a self-sharpening knife block with room for an additional blade.
- The full-tang design of these knives makes them stronger and more balanced, as the blade runs the entire length of the knife.
- The triple-riveted handle features an ergonomic design and a secure grip for slicing and chopping.
- All knives have a bolster below the blade, lending to better weight and balance and protection and safety for the user.
- The knife block contains SharpIN built-in ceramic sharpeners that automatically sharpen knives each time they are used.
- Knives in this set are conveniently labeled on the bottom of the handle to be easily found when cooking.
- Unlike the first two knife sets on this list, the Calphalon 321 set only contains six steak knives instead of eight.
- Unless used properly, the sharpening block may not work efficiently to keep knives in this set sharp.
- Customers have complained of knives in this Calphalon set rusting.
back to menu ↑
Calphalon Contemporary SharpIN Nonstick 13 Piece Cutlery Set
The Calphalon Contemporary 13-piece cutlery set features a nonstick coating and a longitudinal ridge along the chef’s blade and slicing knife. Both features are meant to give the knives a quick release to what you are slicing or dicing.
This Calphalon Contemporary knife set includes an 8-inch chef’s knife as well as a 7-inch Santoku knife which are both great for multiple tasks in the kitchen. Unlike the other sets, this one includes a 7-inch slicing knife, which is handy for slicing large cuts of meat and roasts.
This collection features a 3.5-inch paring knife for smaller tasks as well as six steak knives and a pair of kitchen shears. All of the components sit in a self-sharpening knife block with room for an additional blade.
- Nonstick blades and a longitudinal ridge along the edge of the chef’s knife and slicing knife help with fast cutting and easy cleanup.
- The full tang and solid handle of the knives in this set make a super sturdy and balanced knife.
- This Contemporary knife set includes SharpIN technology in the knife block, allowing the knives to be sharpened every time they are used.
- Knives are conveniently labeled on the bottom of the handle to make it easy to find the knife you need while cooking.
- Each knife in the set features a bolster where the handle meets the blade, lending to better weight in the knife and protection for your hand.
- If not used properly, the sharpening technology in the knife block may not keep your knives sharp.
- Customers have complained that the knife set rusted after only a few uses and that the knife block cracked.
Upon assessing Calphalon knife set reviews, it is easy to see there are many similarities in quality and flaws. Overall, it appears that Calphalon knives are a good choice for the value of the price.
If you are looking for a higher quality product, choosing a knife set from the Contemporary collection, such as the Calphalon Nonstick 13-piece knife set, is a good choice. The overall design and quality are higher than that of the Classic collection, with fewer steak knives. The price is slightly higher, but this is to be expected with a sturdier and more durable product.
All Calphalon knife sets come with a full lifetime warranty, giving customers confidence in the product they are buying. This adds to the value of the knife sets, guaranteeing that Calphalon will replace a damaged or rusted knife if necessary.
If you’re in the market for a new knife set, choosing a Calphalon product over other brands will give you a reliable, sharp, and sturdy knife for a reasonable price.
They are expensive in range for some people but really worth trying.
Thanks for your comment morri, we have another post if someone is looking for a cheaper option https://www.tenhomethings.com/knife-set-from-amazonbasics/